a moth image

We acknowledge the Traditional Custodians of the ACT, the Ngunnawal people and recognise any other people or families with connection to the lands of the ACT and region.

After you have received your confirmation of enrolment (CoE) from your institution, you need to apply for a student visa from the Australian Government.

Several types of visas

International students planning to study here need the right visa. Visas vary depending on the type of study and the length of time you plan to be here. If you’re under 18, there are extra requirements.

Visa options and requirements sometimes change. The best place to get the right information is the Department of Home Affairs website. You’ll find full details on the types of visas available and information about bringing family members with you.

Other requirements

To make the most of your time studying here, there are some entry requirements. These help you succeed in your course. The requirements vary between courses and institutions. They include:

  • academic requirements, such as the level of education you have completed
  • English language skills, so you can follow your course
  • health insurance cover, which you can arrange before you come or while you’re here

Find more details about entry requirements on Study in Australia.

Using an education agent

You don’t have to use an education agent to study here. Most institutions accept applications directly.

You may, however, decide to seek help with visas, applications and living arrangements. Our major institutions work directly with a network of international education agents. You can view the list of agents on the institution’s website:

Agents have up-to-date course information. They’re aware of any changes to Australian visa policy. It’s important to use a qualified agent. You can check the Qualified Education Agent Counsellor database.

Do not use education agents for migration advice unless they’re also a Registered Migration Agent.

Staying after you graduate

The Australian National University alumni, Kezia, shares her story of studying in Canberra and the transition to employment

If you’ve finished your studies, you may want to stay in Canberra to work. If you want to do this temporarily or for longer, you may need another visa. Find out about Temporary Graduate visas here.

School fee waiver

If you are coming here to study a Higher Degree by Research (Masters and Doctoral), the ACT Government may waive government school fees for your children. You need to hold a Student Visa (Subclass 500) to qualify.

Related Pages

Working in Canberra

We have the lowest unemployment rate in Australia. If you need part-time or casual work while you study, you’ll have plenty of options.

Read more

Living in Canberra

Our modern and convenient city offers open spaces, along with vibrant entertainment options. See why we’re considered one of the best student cities in the world.

Read more

Planning your arrival

Canberra is getting ready to welcome back fully vaccinated international students for the 2023 academic year.

Read more

Interested in studying in Canberra?

Contact the Study Canberra team for information and advice