Egyptian born Karim and Australian born Imogen met whilst working together on a ship in the Mediterranean.They fell in love and moved to Sydney where they got married and had their first child.
But after two years, Karim decided that he wanted a better lifestyle for his family. They decided to move to Canberra and Karim says they’ve never looked back.
1. Making dreams come true. As an immigrant to Australia, I wanted to pursue the great Australian dream. Here in Canberra you can really make it happen. I was immediately offered three jobs when I got here, and one year later we bought our own home. Two years later, I’m now about to launch my own bakery—Origin Bake. I’m going to bring a new sourdough to Canberra and I’ll also infuse my middle Eastern heritage into the menu with items such as saffron croissants. It’s very exciting and I don’t believe I could have had the same opportunities back in Egypt, or even Sydney.
2. Packing more into your day. I can’t believe how much time I have. After work I can go for a walk and spend more time with my family. In Sydney it would take me at least an hour and a half in traffic to get to work every day. Here everything is an easy 15-minute drive.
3. Safe. I feel safe enough to walk around any time of day and night—no problem at all. There aren’t many places in the world where I would feel this way.
4. People are genuinely helpful. My previous employer is helping me to start my own business! I think this is unique in Canberra—people really want to help you make something.
5. Welcoming to immigrants. As an immigrant I feel so much more welcome and accepted here. People appreciate my heritage and are open to different cultural influences.